Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Sunday night dinner!!!

Is always great to have someone else cook for you...specially after trying to cook for Ella Maria and me every day.  So to have Ben (with Ella Maria's help) cook dinner...well, lets say I could get use to this.
Panko crusted Sole (fish)...roasted mushrooms...broccoli...rice pilaf...lemon butter sauce.  It was all delicious!  We were all so hungry that I forgot to take pictures..so you will have to use your imagination on this one...
And for the "grand finale" we had Chocolate cake for dessert.  I had made chocolate cake earlier in the afternoon, at nap time.  Well, what can I say...we were all craving it (we ALL were).  Ella Maria had the idea of chocolate cake a few days ago and we never got around to it.  Yesterday when we came back from grocery shopping I decided to get my hand dirty and get it done.  When I told Ben that I was going to make it he said: "great...I was craving some Chocolate cake and a cup of tea". So it was something that had to be done.
It was perfect...just what we all wanted!
 

This is Ella Maria saying Mommy is Number 1!!!

And this is what was left over of the cake...it wont last long!

This is the recipe I used:
cake:
2 ea Eggs
2 cups Sugar
beat until pale and foamy
add bit by bit
1/2 cup Oil (I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil, cause that is what I have home)
2 tsp Vanilla
in a mixing bowl mix all dry ingredients
1 3/4 cup AP. Flour
3/4 cup Cocoa Powder (use Dutch Process for a darker yummier cake)
1 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
Then add dry ingredients to egg mixture, alternating with the
1 cup Milk
when all well mixed add
1 cup Boiling Water
the batter will be very loose, but that is good.
Put in a well grease mold, and bake in 350 degree oven.  Until done.
(I made two 9x5 pan loafs)

For the frosting:
melt 1 stick of Butter
stir in 2/3 cup Cocoa Powder
when well incorporated alternating add
2 cups Powder sugar and 1/3 cup Milk
stir in 1 tsp Vanilla
beat till has spreadable consistency.
(the original recipe calls for 3 cups powder sugar...I though this was too much, with the 2 cups I added it was sweet enough.  But, if you like hurt on your teeth sweet add that extra cup of powder sugar.)

ENJOY!